During this past week I decided to try to write a story using only random sentence generators. If there’s anything that can get me laughing until I can’t breathe, it’s randomized sentences and MadLibs. Needless to say, it wasn’t easy getting something semi-understandable out of the nonsense.
Now that I have my random story, my goal is to edit it into an actual story. What’s the point of this exercise? Turning nonsense into sense is a great way to practice editing. It’s similar to solving a puzzle. In the beginning the pieces appear to be a confused jumble of colors, but once you start to put them together you discover something recognizable.
Everything in the story was given by the random generators, including the characters. The only change I made was John was Two-finger John.
If you would like to participate in the editing challenge, here are the rules:
- The characters must remain the same. (John and the lovely secretary.)
- The plot of the story must remain the same. (The plot is John wants the lovely secretary to burst a boil on his back. It’s a horror story.)
- The tense of the story must remain the same (present tense.)
I will post the results of my own editing in two weeks on Saturday, June 11. If you want to play along, post your results in the comments of today’s post by Thursday, June 9th 2016 along with a link to your blog, and your story and link will be included in the June 11th blog!
This is meant to be fun as well as strengthen our writing and editing skills.
Below is the story to be edited:
The random generators I used to create this story are:
Thank you for reading and I hope some of you decide to play along with this challenge!